Fresh Flavors, Local Brands Headed to LAX as Southwest Airlines’ Terminal 1 Modernization Project Reaches Final Phase
Ten new dining and retail destinations announced; three L.A. brands, three airport firsts for Southwest customers
The wait is over as LAX Terminal 1 reaches its final phase of redevelopment in 2018.
Los Angeles World Airports, Southwest®, and Westfield are bringing new energy and excitement amid a $508 million modernization project of LAX Terminal 1 scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018. The project, which launched in September 2014, has been intentionally constructed to minimize impact to passengers. The final phase of the redevelopment includes 10 new dining and retail destinations, three L.A.-based concepts and three airport firsts.
- Los Angeles World Airports, Southwest®, Westfield partner to enhance Terminal 1 experience
- 10,349 square feet of new shops and restaurants coming in 2018 for final phase; once complete, the new Terminal 1 retail and dining collection will span over 32,000 square feet – nearly triple that of the old terminal
- Ten new brands, three local concepts and three airport firsts for Southwest customers
When it’s completed, Terminal 1 will introduce Southwest travelers to 20 new dining and retail destinations and a re-imagined experience featuring a hip, modern Californian feel that taps into the energy of Los Angeles and of the Southwest brand.
“The Modernization of Terminal 1 for our Southwest Customers has been a labor of love over the past four years,” says Don Ostler, Southwest Airlines Senior Project Manager. “In partnership with LAWA and the City of Los Angeles, we’ve reimagined how our Customers experience air travel through LAX, implementing a new ticketing lobby, security and baggage claim spaces, and transforming our gate spaces to allow for larger planes to take our Customers to more destinations. We’re incredibly excited as we near the final phase, partnering with Westfield to bring some of L.A.’s finest dining and retail experiences to Terminal 1.”
“We are excited to advance another major step towards our vision of Gold Standard Airports,” LAWA CEO Deborah Flint said. “Our guests will find a modern airport experience – one that is futuristic with its variety of food and retail selections and the transformation of space from closed and dark to an open aesthetic experience with Los Angeles flair.”
Travelers will love the new lineup, which includes iconic L.A. brands like Cassell’s Hamburgers, Trejo’s Tacos and Urth Caffe. The final phase of the modernization project includes 10,349 square feet of new dining and retail space and eight brands completely new at LAX.
“Step by step we’ve watched the Terminal 1 experience transform into something uniquely Los Angeles that rivals the world’s best airport terminals,” said Dan Hough, Vice President, Westfield. “Now, working in partnership with LAWA and Southwest, there’s even more to be excited about with this premier roster of dining, retail and amenities for the millions of travelers who use LAX as their gateway to the world.”
The roster of new dining and retail includes:
- Cassell’s Hamburgers is a local crown jewel of LA’s culinary realm with a reputation for quality ingredients and pitch perfect plates that have made it the darling of food critics across the nation;
- Made from fresh, simple ingredients, Chick-Fil-A serves up chicken with no added fillers or hormones;
- Taste the consistently perfect bagels, specialty sandwiches, gourmet salads and handcrafted drinks at Einstein’s Bagels;
- Explore unique, natural skincare solutions at Kiehl’s;
- From lipsticks and blush to mascara and eye shadow, MAC Cosmetics is like a cosmetic candy store;
- Half store, half app, The New Stand and The New Stand Kiosk carry a rotating mix of coffee, new media, fancy snacks and travel essentials;
- Pei Wei Asian Diner delivers a veritable nod to the new American trifecta: make it delicious, make it fresh and make it fast;
- Danny Trejo brings an uber-hip, on-trend brand shining bright with star quality appeal in Trejo’s Tacos;
- Urth Caffe offers its organic coffee and fine teas as well as a fresh, healthy and sustainable menu.
To learn more about the shops and restaurants at LAX and Terminal 1, visit www.westfieldairports.com/LAX.
In partnership with the city of Los Angeles and Los Angeles World Airports, Westfield is transforming the customer experience at LAX terminals 1, 2, 3, 6 and Tom Bradley International Terminal. To improve customer satisfaction and drive sales, Westfield is crafting a unique design at each terminal tailored to meet customer needs.
Westfield is deploying its global expertise to revolutionize the customer experience and create next-generation environments in landmark airports across the U.S. integrating the best in food, fashion, art, and entertainment, Westfield crafts a fully customizable journey that aligns with and reflects each community’s unique style, spirit and culture. Learn more at www.westfieldcorp.com/airports.
To access the media kit for this article, please click here.