UP CLOSE: Westfield transports the Sistine Chapel to the World Trade Center
Today, Westfield launched the US nationwide debut of UP CLOSE: Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel, an immersive exhibit of museum quality, near-life size reproductions of the iconic frescoes located in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City, Rome.
Scott Sanders, Westfield’s Creative Head of Global Entertainment said that there are few works of art as beloved as Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes:
"We are thrilled to showcase this beautiful exhibit in our centers across the country and give viewers the chance to experience this artwork in an up close and intimate way. Westfield is tremendously excited to bring this stunning display to the US and to give many people across the country a once in a lifetime chance to view these works for themselves.”
For those who have seen the pieces in Rome and want a closer look, or for individuals who have never made the trip but want to experience the art, the 34 reproductions provide a unique opportunity to personally experience masterpieces like The Creation of Adam and The Last Judgement in a contemporary and curated environment, uncluttered, in-depth, and up close.
Read more about the exhibition:
- Page Six: How the producer of the 'The Color Purple' brought Michelangelo's art to life
- The New Yorker: Michelangelo's Anxious, Modern Faces at the Sistine Chapel in the Oculus
- W Magazine: 500 Years after Michelangelo, the Sistine Chapel's Frescoes have made their way into, of all places, the World Trade Center
- Art Net News: See the Sistine Chapel as you've never seen it before - Inside the Oculus at the World Trade Center
The first exhibition will run in New York between 23 June - 23 July 2017 in The Oculus at Westfield World Trade Center (open daily between 10am-9pm). It will then travel to:
- Westfield Garden State Plaza, Paramus, NJ: 1 September - 15 October 2017
- Westfield Topanga and the Village, Los Angeles CA: 3 November - 31 December 2017
- Westfield Galleria at Roseville, Roseville, CA: 12 January - 18 February 2018
- Westfield Southcenter, Seattle, WA: 1 March - 8 April 2018
- Westfield Old Orchard, Skokie, IL: 27 April - 3 June 2018
- Westfield Annapolis, Annapolis, MD: 14 June - 22 July 2018
- Westfield UTC, San Diego, CA: 9 August - 23 September 2018
Tickets start at $15 and are on sale at www.westfield.com/upclose. Tickets are also available for same-day purchase at our on-site Box Office. Special rates for students, seniors and members of the military are available. Guests may enhance their experience by adding an optional audio guide, with narrative accompaniment available in four languages. Audio guides are available for $3 and are also included in some special ticket packages. Discounted group tickets for parties of 10+ are available.
The exhibit space is also available for private or corporate events. UP CLOSE: Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel is a licensed exhibition of SEE Global Entertainment, a LA-based exhibition production company which acquired the worldwide rights to the fresco reproductions originally photographed by world-renowned photographer Erich Lessing and his archive.