A new icon in UK Retail: “Westfield London”
18 September 2006
Countries: United Kingdom
Westfield London set to be the Capitals Premium Fashion,
Lifestyle and Leisure experience
Westfield, the world’s largest listed retail property company, is set to change the face of retail in the United Kingdom when it opens its new flagship development Westfield London at White City, London in 2008.
Beneath a spectacular, undulating glass roof, the 1.6 billion Westfield London destination will combine over 150,000m2 of retail, restaurants, cafes, bars and leisure facilities to create the ultimate shopping and leisure destination.
The new London landmark will include:
- 4 anchor stores and 265 speciality shops Westfield London will house flagship stores of Marks and Spencer, Debenhams, Waitrose, and Next.
- National Amusements Cinema de Luxe state-of-the-art 14-screen cinema complex and directors lounges.
- A new luxury area within the centre a first of its kind in the UK. Three levels of undercover high-end retail designed by acclaimed architect, Michael Gabellini solely dedicated to luxury and designer fashion brands.
- The Pavilion the cultural heart of Westfield London. A vast indoor atrium will showcase world-class events from live music and fashion shows to cultural and art exhibitions.
- A groundbreaking dining experience over 40 places to dine including 15 premium restaurants, al fresco dining terrace and 12 high-tech pods showcasing an eclectic mix of European and Pan-Asian cuisines not previously found in UK malls.
- Easy access a prime location in central London served by 4,500 car parking spaces, a new overland railway, new tube station and two new bus terminals.
- Premium health and fitness area including urban retreat spa and gymnasium to promote well-being and pampering.
- Personalised concierge and customer services including valet parking and amenities such as porters to carry packages, signature gift boxes, dinner reservations and personal shopping.
Westfield London will act as a catalyst for the redevelopment and regeneration of the wider White City area with a further 1bn investment expected in the immediate vicinity over the next 10 years. The local economy will be boosted by the creation of a number of employment opportunities including 1,000 jobs during the construction phase and 4,000 when the centre opens.
London now has one of the most vibrant and diverse dining cultures in the world currently undergoing a huge renaissance. The eating, drinking and food retailing offer of Westfield London has been designed to reflect and celebrate this, said David Slade, Director of Leasing.
Westfield London understands Londoners lifestyles, habits, and above all, their growing passion for food and dining out. It will offer a carefully selected line-up of restaurants, bars, cafes and food shops that cater to all tastes and to all occasions. Be it the need to grab a bite to eat after a long day or to celebrate a special occasion; a place to have a light lunch whilst shopping or a neighbourhood caf to make your own.
Westfield managing director UK & Europe, Michael Gutman said: Westfield is a company that is passionate about the combination of food and retail fashion, and understands its pivotal importance within a development. Westfield London will truly break the mould of shopping centre entertainment and dining, delivering an experience that is a fitting showcase for restaurateurs, food producers and retailers alike, bringing together the best of Londons and the UKs – eclectic eating offer under one roof for the first time.
Group managing director, Steven Lowy said: Westfield London will draw on our global and local experience of creating unique retail and lifestyle offerings to create an unprecedented development both in terms of quality and scale. It will provide a customer lifestyle experience that is second to none, combining entertainment, dining, and leisure opportunities with outstanding guest hospitality: valet parking, porters, personal shopping and more.
Award winning architect, Michael Gabellini commented: The luxury precinct at Westfield London has been designed as a luxury and designer goods emporium for the 21st century a place of wonder. The location has a long history as a place of culture from the Franco-British Exhibition of 1908, the Japan-British Exhibition of 1910, the 1908 Olympics village and home to the BBC. Westfield London will continue to use the site as a place to represent culture as it moves through time.
For more information on Westfield London, visit: www.westfield.com/london
Notes to editors:
- About Westfield:
- Westfield has a successful track record of developing premium retail destinations for over 45 years.
- Operating on a global platform, the group undertakes ownership, development, design, construction, funds and asset management, property management, leasing and marketing.
- Westfield has assets of approximately 23 billion under management in a portfolio of 120 shopping centres across Australia, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom. It has more than 21,800 retailers and approximately 10 million square metres of retail space.
2. About CGI:
Commerz Grundbesitz-Investmentgesellschaft mbH (CGI) is a capital investment company and a part of Commerz Grundbesitz Group. CGI is managing the Groups mutual real estate funds, particularly for private investors. Among these funds, hausInvest europa represents the German market leader in the sector of open-ended property funds, having a fund volume of more than Euro 8 billion. According to a study conducted by the Dutch bank of Kempen, hausInvest europa counts among Europes three largest real estate investors. Westfield London is currently the biggest investment of CGI for hausInvest europa. The market share of CGI in the overall volume of mutual real estate funds currently equals more than 12%. So far, around 450,000 investors have invested in CGI funds.
Commerz Grundbesitz Group (CGG) was founded in 2001, and counts among the global leaders in real estate asset management. With its staff of 250 employees, the Group currently manages a real estate volume of more than Euro 13 billion worldwide. At present, real estate assets include about 200 commercial properties in 14 different countries, and at more than 50 different locations. Its foreign real estate assets, valued at more than Euro 9 billion, make Commerz Grundbesitz Group one of Europes largest real estate investors. The total rental space held by the Groups fund real estate covers more than 3.5 million m. The group handles all activities of Commerzbank AG Germanys second biggest bank – in the business area of indirect real estate investments. These include in particular open-ended property funds, REITs, as well as other listed and non-listed real estate vehicles. In March of 2006, CGG founded CeGeREAL, thus becoming the first German real estate company to set up a REIT.
3. Westfield is launching Westfield London at a party for media, retailers and celebrities this Sunday 17th September 2006 in the British Fashion Council show tent, before London Fashion Week commences on Monday 18th September.
4. Westfield is the inaugural sponsor of the British Fashion Council new Fashion Forward scheme and has committed to four seasons of sponsorship, beginning in September 2006. Fashion Forward is a scheme to give support to British designers who have already established a profile at London Fashion Week through the New Generation programme, or who are at an equivalent stage in their business. The primary aim is to enable designers to show their collections at London Fashion Week. To offer designers as much support as possible at this critical stage in their development, the BFC is aiming to assemble a package of business mentoring services in addition to securing further sponsorship for Fashion Forward. For this season, the British Fashion Council is pleased to announce that Giles Deacon and Jonathan Saunders have been selected to receive Fashion Forward sponsorship.
5. Westfield will also be supporting London Fashion Week by sponsoring improvements to the BFC Show Tent.