Your privacy is important to Westfield Corporation
Westfield Corporation recognises the trust you are placing in us through your dealings with us. We are committed to the protection of your personal information. Our policies comply with our obligations under the Australian Privacy Principles that form part of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and are intended to protect your privacy in respect of any personal information that you may provide to us.
Members of the Westfield Corporation group, comprising Westfield Corporation Limited ABN 12 166 995 197, Westfield America Management Limited ABN 66 072 780 619 (as responsible entity of Westfield America Trust) and their respective controlled entities, and the owners of the shopping centres managed by members of the Westfield Corporation group, may collect personal and other information in the circumstances set out below. We refer to each of these entities in this policy as "us", "we", or "Westfield Corporation".
More information about the activities of Westfield Corporation members in the UK (Westfield UK) and in the United States (Westfield US), including how they collect and treat personal information or personal data in those jurisdictions, can be found at:
What personal information Westfield Corporation generally collects and why
In addition to the personal information collected by Westfield UK and Westfield US, which can be found at
Westfield Corporation collects the following information:
Westfield Corporation maintains securityholder registers through an external service provider, currently Computershare Investor Services Pty Limited. Westfield Corporation requires Computershare to comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) when performing these services.
Personal information collected from securityholders (being members of the Westfield Corporation (ASX code: WFD) includes: contact, bank account and securityholding details and tax file numbers.
Westfield Corporation collects information from customers in a number of different ways. These include the following:
- In connection with competitions or signing up to email or mobile newsletters, customers provide us with their contact details. Westfield Corporation collects these details to contact competition winners, and to inform customers about Westfield events, activities and promotions, both in centre and as part of Westfield Corporation's other activities.
- When customers hire equipment from Westfield Corporation, or apply to use certain restricted spaces at Westfield Corporation-managed centres, customers provide Westfield Corporation with certain information, including contact details. Westfield Corporation collects this information to ensure that there is a record of the hirer and to enable customers to be informed about upcoming Westfield events, activities and promotions, both in centre and as part of Westfield Corporation's other activities.
- Westfield Corporation-managed shopping centres and car parks are under video and camera surveillance. When entering Westfield shopping centres and car parks, customer's personal information and images may be collected by Westfield Corporation, and Westfield Corporation may also collect customer's personal information and images from third parties (for example, the police or retailers) in connection with the management and security of Westfield Corporation-managed shopping centres. This information may be used by Westfield Corporation in connection with the management and security of the Westfield Corporation shopping centres and may be provided to law enforcement and government bodies, Westfield Corporation staff and subcontractors, third parties who provide services to Westfield Corporation from time to time, insurers and retailers for those purposes. The licence plates of vehicles parked by customers in car parks may also be collected and used for the above purposes and also to assist customers to locate their cars including via online and mobile applications.
- When customers use mobile applications developed by Westfield Corporation, or logon to WiFi provided in Westfield centres, customers provide Westfield Corporation with certain information including their contact details. Westfield Corporation collects this information to enable customers to be informed about upcoming Westfield events, activities and promotions, both in centre and as part of Westfield Corporation's other activities, and sponsor and retailer promotions, and other activities which will be notified to customers as they sign in to use those facilities.
- When customers purchase, redeem or are provided with Westfield Gift Cards, they may provide Westfield Corporation with their contact details. These details are used for card fulfilment purposes and, if customers opt in, to contact customers about Westfield events, activities and promotions, both in centre and as part of the Westfield Corporation's other activities.
In addition to the purposes set out above, this information may be used by Westfield Corporation in connection with the management and security of the Westfield shopping centres generally, and may be provided to law enforcement and government bodies, insurers, Westfield Corporation staff and subcontractors, third parties who provide Westfield Corporation with services from time to time and retailers for these purposes.
If you, or a company you work for, supplies goods or services to Westfield Corporation, Westfield Corporation may collect personal information about you in connection with the provision of those goods or services, either directly from you or from that company. This information may include your name, date of birth, contact information, and any other information you provide, or provided on your behalf, as part of our induction and compliance processes. This information will be used for the purposes of managing the provision of those good or services.
If you are employed by a member of the Westfield Corporation group, Westfield Corporation may collection personal information about you in connection with your employment. This information may include your name, date of birth, contact information, and any other information you provide, or provided on your behalf, as part of our induction and compliance processes. This information will be used for the purposes of managing your employment, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). You need to ensure this information is up to date, in accordance with Westfield Corporation’s policies and procedures.
Westfield Corporation may collect the following type of personal information from unincorporated retailers, guarantors and other individuals related to retailers during negotiations for, and during the term of, the lease/licence for premises, kiosks and other activations at Westfield shopping centres:
- name, address and date of birth;
- contact and insurance details;
- information as to retailers' financial standing and retailing experience; and
- other financial and trading information
Westfield Corporation requires this information to evaluate whether the relevant centre owner should enter into a lease, licence or other agreement with a retailer; to assist Westfield Corporation in the preparation of that document; to manage Westfield Corporation’s relationship with retailers; in connection with the management and security of the Westfield shopping centres and in order to monitor the performance of the shopping centre. Occasionally, the information may also be made available to others in connection with these activities, in order for those people to provide services to Westfield Corporation or as required by law, as well as to third parties in connection with any transactions involving the ownership of the centre.
If the retailer provides Westfield Corporation with direct debit or direct credit details, Westfield Corporation will only disclose those details to Westfield Corporation's bank to facilitate the provision of that service.
Additionally, as noted above Westfield shopping centres are under video and camera surveillance. When entering Westfield shopping centres, the personal information and images of retailers and their staff may be collected by Westfield Corporation. This information may be used by Westfield Corporation in connection with the management and security of the Westfield shopping centres and may be provided to law enforcement and government bodies, insurers, Westfield Corporation staff and subcontractors, third parties who provide Westfield Corporation with services from time to time and other retailers for those purposes. This information is held securely and in a format which is access controlled, unless it is necessary to use this information for these purposes.
If we receive personal information about you that we did not ask for either directly from you, from someone on your behalf, or through someone on our behalf, and we determine that we could have collected this information from you had we asked for it, we will take reasonable steps to notify you, as soon as practicable, that we have collected your personal information. If we could not have collected this personal information, we will lawfully de-identify or destroy that personal information. Any unsolicited information provided by you, someone on your behalf or someone on our behalf, will be used for the purposes for which it was provided.
Other information we collect
We may also collect the following information from you:
- where devices are able to connect to, or are identifiable by, in-centre infrastructure, we may collect data including usage, location and type of device, from those devices, and other data which users consent to us collecting from time to time;
- the fully qualified domain name from which you accessed our websites, or alternatively, your IP address;
- the date and time you accessed each page on our websites;
- the URL of any webpage from which you accessed our websites (the referrer);
- cookies which track your visits to the our web sites; and
- the web browser that you are using and the pages you accessed
We use this information so that we can tell which pages are the most popular and where shoppers spend most of their time. We use this information to improve our website. If this information is linked with personal information we hold about you as set out above, this information becomes personal information and will be treated in the same manner as the personal information to which it has been linked.
Who collects the information
Personal information collected about individuals (as described above) may be collected by, or on behalf of members of the Westfield Corporation group.
Information may also be collected by Westfield Corporation on behalf of other people as set out in notices given to individuals, or consents given by individuals, at or prior to the time the personal information is collected.
How your personal information is stored and kept secure
All personal information collected by Westfield Corporation is held securely, whether on Westfield Corporation's physical files, in Westfield Corporation's computer systems or in a database (which may be hosted by Westfield Corporation or a third party on Westfield Corporation’s behalf). This information is only made available to Westfield Corporation staff on a 'need to know' basis or to other people as outlined in this policy who have agreed to treat that information confidentially.
These databases are protected by a firewall as well as host-based security. Your personal information may be transmitted over the Internet once it has been stored in a database and may also be transferred across borders to recipients in foreign countries, including the United States of America and United Kingdom, and may be stored on servers, using databases or via cloud technology in a number of countries other than Australia, including regions such as the Americas, the European Union and Asia, where doing so is part of Westfield Corporation’s ordinary business practices relating to the storage of data and where permitted by law.
If Westfield Corporation ever has a requirement to transmit such data over the Internet (for example, to make an off-site back up) it will be in encrypted form. By providing us with your personal information, you consent to these transfers.
Securityholder information is held by the registry in accordance with registry arrangements which require such information to be held securely.
We will use all reasonable endeavours to keep your personal information in a secure environment, however, this security cannot be guaranteed due to the nature of the internet. These measures are designed to assist in your personal information not being accessed by unauthorised personnel, lost or misused. If you reasonably believe that there has been unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information please contact us (see below).
All reasonable steps are taken by us to ensure that your personal information held by us is accurate, complete and up to date. If you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate, please contact us (see below) and we will take all reasonable steps to correct it within a reasonable timeframe.
Disclosing your personal information
We understand how important it is to keep your personal information private, so we will disclose personal information we have about you only in certain specific circumstances, when:
- you agree to the disclosure;
- we use it for the purposes we collected it; or
- disclosure is required or authorised by law
To the extent permitted by law, we may also disclose information about you to:
- related companies for marketing purposes;
- the owners of the shopping centres managed by members of the Westfield Corporation group from time to time;
- third parties who provide services to Westfield Corporation from time to time;
- government agencies as part of our statutory obligations; or
- as otherwise permitted by law
Right of access to your information
You have the right to access, update and correct your personal information held by us. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is up-to-date, accurate and complete.
If you wish to access, update or correct your personal information held by us, please contact our Privacy Officer, whose details appear below, or your relevant shopping centre manager.
Tips on sending us information
While we do all we can to guard your privacy, no data transfer over the Internet is 100% secure. When you share your information with us, it is at your own risk. There are ways you can help maintain the secrecy of your information:
always close your browser when you have finished your user session; and
ensure others cannot access your personal information and emails if you use a public computer.
If something goes wrong
Please contact us by email or by phone, if you believe:
- someone has gained access to your personal information by mistake
- we have breached our privacy obligations or your privacy rights in any way
We will try to satisfy any privacy questions that you have and correct any errors on our part. If you still have concerns please contact our Privacy Officer by email on [email protected], or phoning (+61 2) 9273 2000.
Further information regarding Australian Privacy Legislation
If you would like further information relating to the Australian Privacy Legislation and the Australian Privacy Principles, please visit www.privacy.gov.au.
Please contact Westfield Corporation's Privacy Officer if you believe:
- someone has gained access to your personal information by mistake;
- we have breached our privacy obligations or your privacy rights in any way; or
You can contact Westfield Corporation 's Privacy Officer on (ph) +61 2 9273 2000, via email at [email protected], or in writing to: Privacy Officer, Westfield Corporation, Level 29, 85 Castlereagh Street, Sydney, NSW 2000.